PADI Open Water Course | 5 Days | Great Barrier Reef Liveaboard
- Duration: 4 Days (approx.)
- Location: Cairns, QLD
There is no better place to Learn to Dive than Australia's Great Barrier Reef.
If you are thinking about taking the plunge our 5 day PADI "Open Water" dive course is by far the most popular way to do it. The adventure of learning to dive as well as staying out on the reef for 3 days and 2 nights on one of our premium live aboard vessels is quite unique.
Your course includes 9 dives on some of the best dive sites the Outer Great Barrier Reef has to offer as well as plenty of time to snorkel, relax and really enjoy the reef experience. All this makes this course unmatched for experience and value.
Your 5 Day PADI Learn to Dive Course is broken down into two components - 2 Days of classroom and pool and training and then a 3 day, 2 night liveaboard trip to some of the best Outer Reef dive sites available.
The first two days of your course are spent at our modern training centre learning the theory and practical skills of scuba diving. At the end of day 2 we recommend the option of attending 'Reef Teach'. 'Reef Teach' is a fun and informative marine biology presentation that will greatly enhance your reef experience. (Additional cost)
The next 3 days and 2 nights are spent living on board one of our premium live aboard dive vessels. You'll have the opportunity to participate in 9 dives on a variety of our 16 exclusive dive sites on the outer Great Barrier Reef. Your first 4 dives will complete your open water certification and then as certified diver you are able to undertake up to 5 more recreational or pleasure dives. One of these dives is a guided night dive! These extra dives will be a highlight of your course and a truly memorable experience.
On the night of your return to Cairns you have the option to join your fellow passengers and the crew for a farewell dinner at a local restaurant.
Please Note: Pick up times will vary depending on location so please check your pick up time with our office. Please bring travel voucher and/or course fees, your dive medical if required, swimwear and a towel.
Day 1: Academic and Pool Training
- 8:00am - Complimentary hotel transfer service available from your Cairns and Northern Beaches accommodation (as far as Palm Cove)
- 8:30am - Registration at the Pro Dive training centre - 116 Spence street
- 8:45am - Academic training in the classroom
- 12:30pm - Lunch break (lunch not included)
- 1:30pm - Pool training
- 5:30pm - Complimentary hotel transfer service available
Day 2: Academic and Pool Training
- 7:30am - Complimentary hotel transfer service available from your Cairns and Northern Beaches accommodation (as far as Palm Cove)
- 8:30am - Pool training
- 12:30pm - Visit the Pro Dive retail shop
- 1:00pm - Lunch break (lunch not included)
- 2:00pm - Academic training in the classroom and final exam
- 5:45pm - Complimentary hotel transfer service available or transfer to Reef Teach Marine Biology presentation (optional). Please note transfer not available after Reef Teach.
Reef Teach: Optional 2.5hr marine biology presentation where you'll learn about the reef and the fish you'll meet. (Additional cost)
Day 3: Diving The Outer Great Barrier Reef
- 5:45am - Complimentary hotel transfer - available from Cairns city and Northern Beaches accommodation
- 6:15am - Check in at Pro Dive retail shop - corner Shields & Grafton Streets
- 7:00am - Depart Cairns for 3 days and 2 nights of fantastic diving/snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef. A light breakfast is served onboard
- 11:30am - Your first training dive in the ocean
- 12:45pm - Lunch is served - hearty soup with an array of fresh salads, cold meats and bread rolls
- 2:30pm - Your second training dive
- 6:00pm - Dinner - the menu changes each trip however it will be wholesome, hot and of course lots of it! Then - time to relax!
Day 4: More Great Diving
- 7:00am - Third training dive before breakfast - this will be the deepest training dive of your certification
- 8:00am - Enjoy a hearty breakfast of cereal, fresh fruit, bacon and eggs as well as toast and spreads
- 10:30am - Fourth and final training dive
- 12:00pm - Lunch on the second day is hot pasta with a variety of fresh salads
- 3:00pm - You are now a certified diver!!! First pleasure dive!!
- 6:00pm - Dinner - again, the menu changes each trip however it will be wholesome, hot and of course lots of it!
- 7:00pm - A guided night dive after dinner - another great experience!
Day 5: More Diving And Return To Cairns
- 6:30am - Your first dive of the day
- 7:30am - A hot breakfast accompanied with fresh fruit salad, cereals and toast
- 9:00am - After breakfast, the vessel makes its last site of the trip, where you will do your second dive of the day
- 11:00am - Your last dive! When you surface freshly made sandwiches are served as the vessel heads home
- 4:00pm - Complimentary accommodation transfers - Cairns city and Northern Beaches
- 7:30pm - Join fellow passengers and crew at a local restaurant for a farewell dinner if you wish
- 9 Dives (4 training dives and 5 pleasure dives – inc one night dive)
- PADI Gold Open Water Certification
- PADI Open Water manual
- Dive Log Book
- 2 Passport Photos
- All dive & snorkelling equipment - includes dive computer, wetsuit and dive torch.
- Dive Insurance
- Corrective lens mask (if required)
- Accommodation transfers (Cairns city & northern beaches)
- All accommodation, meals and bed linen (on board the boat)
Important Information For Learn to Dive Course Participants: Prior to commencing your Learn to Dive Course you are required to complete the self-assessment Entry Level Student Dive Medical Declaration. A positive response to any question means that there is a pre-existing condition that may affect your safety while diving and you must consult a medical practitioner preferably with experience in diving medicine to obtain a dive medical certificate that states that you are fit to undertake recreational diver training.
To avoid disappointment we suggest that you complete the Student Diver Medical Declaration and if necessary obtain a dive medical from a doctor prior to commencement. (Any costs associated in this process are payable direct to the doctor).
Important Note: Student Diver Medical Declaration and Dive Medical (if required) must be completed within 90 days of commencement of your learn to dive course.
We require you to provide a Unique Student Identifier number (USI) on day 1 of the course. USI creation is an easy process and should only take a few minutes of your time. Create a USI once you are in Australia on: www.usi.gov.au/students/create-your-usi
Taxes and Charges: An additional fee of $70.00 person is payable direct to Pro Dive Cairns. This charge includes an $19.50 Government Environmental Management Charge as well as a Port Departure Tax and administration costs.
Camera Hire: Digital underwater cameras are available for hire on board our dive boats for a cost of A$40per dive. Please note you will not be able to use the underwater camera until you are a certified diver.
The minimum age to learn to dive in Queensland is 10. There is no maximum age.
It is a dive course requirement that you be able to swim 200 metres or snorkel 300 metres and tread water/float for 10 minutes.
We recommend that you do not fly within 24 hours of diving. This means that the earliest you should fly is 12 pm (midday) on the day after your trip concludes