SSI Open Water Course Package | North Stradbroke Island
- Duration: 3 Days (approx.)
- Location: Cleveland, QLD
- Product code: P0LBKR
This course is an all inclusive package and includes 3 nights accommodation, ferry tickets and island transfers. Manta Lodge and Scuba Centre is located on beautiful North Stradbroke Island is the ideal setting to learn to scuba dive; predominately due to the pristine diving conditions found at the island. This combined with the high level of diver training delivered by Manta’s group of passionate instructors as well as the island’s close proximity to Brisbane!
Learn to Dive
Scuba diving allows us to explore new worlds and experience places in a way that only a few people have experienced before. 70% of the world is water; that is a lot of ocean for a certified diver to explore! There is some much to see underneath the surface that so few people know about. Coral reefs, mangroves, open oceans, rivers, lakes – the list goes on… The potential to meet our earths largest, smallest, weirdest and cutest creatures awaits! Take the plunge and start your adventure.
- For total beginners, no experience required
- Internationally recognised
- Get certified to dive to 18m anywhere in the world!
- Online learning so you can study at your own pace and maximise your time with your instructor.
- Pool training is in a heated pool
- All required equipment is supplied
- Small group sizes
- Accommodation and transfers included
- Ferry Tickets & Island Transfer included
What to expect
There are three key components to your ‘Learn to Dive’ training (Open Water Diver Course). These components are the Academics (Theory), Confined Training (Pool) and the Open Water Training (Ocean dives). After you have completed and mastered each of these components you will become certified as an Open Water Diver and can dive to 18m anywhere in the world!
Academics - Day 1 The academics consists of online learning and a multiple-choice exam. You will be registered with our training agency once we receive payment and login details will be sent to the email address you have provided. As the theory is online you can learn at your own pace. The theory is designed to be understandable for everyone; young, old and everyone in between. If you have any questions, please call us and we can help. The multiple-choice exam will be given to you on day 1 of your course before going to the pool.
Confined Training - Day 1 The confined training will take place in the pool. We have dive buses that will transport students and equipment to and from the pool. The time in the bus is another great opportunity to discuss diving with your instructor and to get to know your new dive buddies. Once at the pool you will complete a watermanship test (200m swim in any style and a 10min float), learn how to set up your equipment and you will learn all skills required to become open water divers. By the end of confined training you would have mastered all skills, be confident and ready to go ocean diving!
Open Water Training - Days 2 & 3 The open water training is conducted in the ocean. By now you have already mastered the skills and we are going for 4 easy dives on our local dive sites to look for turtles and other beautiful marine life. This way you get to apply your newly mastered dive skills in to real life diving. You will do two dives on each day. After the completion of this component you will become certified as an Open Water Diver!
- You must be 12 years old. For anyone under the age of 18 we need consent from a parent or guardian.
- All participants must complete a medical questionnaire, you must submit this questionnaire to us prior to the course commencing and we may require you to gain medical clearance for a doctor prior to the course commencing.
- You must be able to swim 200m without stopping. There is no time limit and you can swim in any stroke or style you want.
- You must be able to float or tread water for 10 minutes without stopping or holding on.
- Manta Lodge has modern and clean dorm accommodation and private rooms.
- To upgrade to a private room or to stay for an additional couple of nights before or after your course, simply email us.
- The Water Taxi departs from Cleveland and take about 20min to Straddie
- Depending with your time of arrival, a shuttle can be arrange to transfer you to the dive centre otherwise simply catch the local bus from Dulwich to Point Lookout